Saturday, November 5, 2011

Inspiration and Busy in The Studio.



Whew!  It's been a busy few months in and out of the studio, and I managed to throw in a late but inspiring "Summer Vacation" (yes, at the end of October!) to the Oregon Coast.  Around every corner I found myself utterly astounded by the ever-changing coastal landscapes.  I also have this thing that I do whenever I am near water - I HAVE to take off my shoes and go into the water, no matter how cold it is.  I have been swimming in Alaska in August!  You can imagine that this could slow the driving progress when there was a spectacular beach around every corner...



This drive was partially inspiration for a piece I submitted for the Seymour Art Gallery's "water" - themed Discover 2012 show, shown below in progress in the studio.

Solitude was basically me trying to process the feelings associated with being near the water, especially in an environment (i.e. the coastal highway) that changed so suddenly and completely.  I want my work to serve as witness for spaces that i have visited, however that can be a challenge when working non-representationally (or am I?).

No comments:

Post a Comment